Home Page

Update - Potential Reopening of Schools

Proposed Wider Opening of Schools


We are writing to update you on our plans for the reopening of school for some pupils from 1st June.  Government guidance has made it clear that the key to keeping children safe in school is to teach them in small groups of no more than 15 pupils, keep these groups as separate from each other as possible and limit the number of children that each member of staff comes into contact with.  As you can imagine, this is an extremely challenging task which contains 630 pupils and 100 staff members.


Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to submit questions or concerns about the proposed wider opening of schools from 1st June.  Attached to this letter is a Questions and Answers document collating all of the questions which have been submitted.  Please bear in mind that with guidance from the Government and DfE changing on an almost daily basis, the information in this document could well have to be amended in line with the most recent scientific and Government advice.  We will keep an updated copy of this document on our website.


One of the many recommendations from the Government is that schools start to collect information on how many children may return once schools start to open up more widely.  To help us start to gather this information, please would all parents of children in Years R, 1 and 6 only complete the form accessed via the link below:.  Please complete one form per child you have in those year groups. 




If your child is in year R, 1 or 6, and you are a key worker, please still complete this form.


We hope that the Q&A document attached will help you to make an informed decision but do also recognize that some of you may not feel comfortable making a decision yet.  This is totally understandable and whatever decision you make at this stage, can be changed.  As outlined in the Q&A document, no parent will be penalised for not sending their child to school between now and the end of this academic year.


(continued overleaf)




15th May 2020


This week has been extremely busy in school, we are finalising risk assessments and reviewing draft plans around the wider reopening of Foundry Lane.  We would ask that you bear in mind that the 1st of June is a date which schools could extend their opening from, it is not a guarantee that from this date we will be able to open for children in Years R, 1 and 6 all at once.  Indeed it is looking highly unlikely at this stage that we will be able to do this.  In the Government’s latest guidance which was published at 6.30pm last night, they have said that if schools cannot open for all priority year groups on 1st June, priority should be given to the youngest children first working upwards.


As soon as we have finalised our risk assessments and consultations with staff and Governors, we will advise of our initial proposals around the wider opening of our school.  We should make you aware that there will be local variations between schools across the city and indeed across the country as they decide what is the safest and most practicable approach to reopening.


Many of us are parents ourselves and know that balancing working and supporting your children continues to be an enormous challenge but the last thing we want to do is issue plans too early and then have to change them.


As it has always been, the safety and wellbeing of our staff and pupils is our highest priority.  If you have any questions or concerns, please do pass these on to us and we will do our best to answer them to the best of our knowledge.


With kindest regards




Sean Taylor